Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Color pop infinity scarf

I've been experimenting with color lately and wanted to create some knitted pieces with a nod to the trend of color-blocked fashion. I had the idea of creating a very neutral object with a pop of color at the edges or maybe in the middle. And because the whole pop of color reminds me of spring, I tried it out in a spring weight yarn. (I say this as I watch a rare snowfall outside my window.)

So, here is my creation:


Body: Cascade Ultra Pima in Mocha
Trim: Sirdar Snuggly BabyBamboo in Yummy Yellow
Needle: Size 6 32" circular
Finished size: 8 1/2" high x 60" circumference

Here is the pattern. (I am a loose knitter, so you may want to go up a needle size, but it's not critical for this pattern.)

Using the trim color, cast on 200 stitches.
Join for knitting in the round, making sure stitches are not twisted. Place marker.
Round 1: Purl 1
Round 2: K2 together, YO, repeat until the end
Round 3: Purl
Round 4: Knit

Break yarn and switch to main color.
Knit the entire skein.
Switch back to the trim color.

Finishing trim pattern:
Round 1: Knit
Round 2: Purl
Round 3: K2 together, YO, repeat until the end
Round 3: Purl

Bind off loosely. I recommend Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off. Block and wear!

Just for kicks, I entered this into the DesignSponge January Instagram challenge -- we'll see what happens with that!

I've bought both of these yarns in other colors and plan to make more of these.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment